Cups - Division 2

Suburban Rugby Cups

"What are you playing for?"

 

Alternate text

CUP

YEAR

PRESENTED

BRIEF HISTORY*

Barraclough

1969

John Barraclough (Colleagues) Union Patron, John Barraclough, AM (1926 - 2005) and his father, H.H Barraclough, presented this cup to the MSDRU in 1969 for a new one team competition that arose with the rapid increase of clubs at the time. In 1971, following a restructuring of sub-district rugby competitions, the Barraclough Cup headed the new sub-district second division, and continues to this day.
Stockdale

1971

Ted Stockdale       (Briars) Presented to the MSDRU by Ted Stockdale, a previous Secretary of the Union, in 1971, this cup was first won by AMP.
Blunt

1971

Charles Blunt                    (ARU President) Donated in 1971 by ARU President Charles Blunt, who was patron of the MSDRU from 1965 to 1989. The cup was first won by Manly.
Richardson

1971

Eric Richardson (Newington Old Boys)

Also introduced in 1971 by Eric Richardson of Newington Old Boys. Eric had a long involvement with Newington Old Boys, particularly as  a coach. At the time this cup provided an extra competition for those second division clubs with extra teams, with the remainder of teams in the comp being one team clubs. By 1981, the Richardson Cup and second division was only available to four team sub-district clubs.
Robertson

1981

Brian Robertson (Hunters Hill) Named after former Suburban Chairman (1978-80), Brian Robertson, this cup was first won by Port Hacking. After not being contested between 1988-93, the Robertson Cup was revived to become the Colts trophy for second division.
Reliance Shield

1983

Reliance Club "The Reliance Club Shield" was presented to the the SSDRU in 1983 for the Division Two Club Champions, by surviving members of the Reliance Club of Ashfield.

*Cup histories courtesy of "The Game for the Game Itself - The History of Sub-District Rugby in Sydney".

Club Locator

  • Sharing the Spirit of the Game
  • Our Preferred Energy Supplier